The European Court of Arbitration and the International School of Arbitration and Mediation of the Mediterranean and the Middle East have celebrated, with the cooperation of the Cyprus Chapter of the European Court of Arbitration and of the UCLan University, the 12th edition of our Annual Conference of the Mediterranean and Middle East, Med-Mid.
The conference has been held in Cyprus on October 26, 2018 on the following subject “Which requirements are to be considered for the selection of the seat of international arbitral proceedings ?”
The conference was introduced by the President of the European Court of Arbitration, Mauro Rubino-Sammartano, by Mr. Yiannos Georgiades, Chairman of the Cyprus Chapter and by Prof. Stephanie Laulhe-Shaelou, Deputy Chairman of the Cyprus Chapter of the European Court of Arbitration.
The first part of the conference consisted of a duly authorized Moot Arbitration based on the Vis Moot Problem.
There was then an address by the President of the Supreme Court of Cyprus, followed by a speech by Ms. Elisabetta Costa on “The Brainworking”.
The topic of the conference was discussed then through its subtopics :
- Arbitration - Friendly law, presented by Prof. José Carlos Fernandez Rozas, Director of the Department of Private International Law, Complutense University (Madrid), Chairman of the Spanish Chapter of the European Court of Arbitration
- Full respect of due process, presented by Mr. Alexandru Codescu, Chairman of the Romanian Chapter of the European Court of Arbitration (Bucharest)
- The approach of the judiciary to arbitration (Cyprus), presented by Judge George Arestis, Former Judge at the Court of Justice of the European Union
- Right of representation, presented by Prof. Osvaldo Prosperi, Prosperi Law Firm (Pescara)
- Possible specificities of the substantive law, presented by Claudia Nardinocchi, Aperwin (Paris)
- Enforceability of domestic and foreign award, presented by Mr. Antonios Tsavdaridis, Chairman of the Greek Chapter of the European Court of Arbitration (Athens)
- Professional standards, presented by Ms. Sara Mazzantini, Clay Arbitration (Paris)
The following other subtopics have been presented by the President
- Challenges of the award
- Duration of enforcement proceedings
- Accessibility and facilities.
You can see the video of the event by clicking here.